Of Broken Telephones and prayer

When I was a kid I was hell-bent on following instructions. I would not move or do anything without proper instructions. I feared breaking rules, though the little rebel in me would shine through once in a while. Even then, I would be armed with a perfect explanation when caught on the wrong side. I was that kid lifting her hand in class asking for clarification, all the time.The innocence!  My siblings (my sister Sheila especially) to date claim I’m still that ‘Excuse me Teacher, I have a question’ kid. That's a story for another day.

Growing up, we played a game called Broken Telephone. The participants would be seated or standing in a line. The first person would whisper a word or statement to the next. The same word/statement was to be repeated down the line. By the time the last person heard the word, more often than not, it would be so skewed and distorted, the first person could not recognize it.
The humor lay in going back on the line with each person stating what they heard, spotting the error and eliminating the person who caused it and so on and so forth. Normally, the statement would be distorted if a person retold it in a very low tone, or the recipient was simply too anxious or in a hurry to tell the next person and would end up missing it in the first place. Sometimes, the next person would not be attentive and would miss it all together. Then there were the naughty ones who would make up their own words and statements to make the game more fun.  You guys remember that game? Oh, sweet childhood!

I recalled all these things while thinking about prayer. Why are we more comfortable sharing our thoughts, troubles and concerns with people but not God? Sometimes we share so much hoping to gain wisdom out of it and at the end we get distorted opinions and skewed information from people who have not sought God. Then, as if that’s not bad enough, we run with it.  Needless to say, we come back broken, and hurting. A story I’m sure we know all too well. Now, consider yourself the one being told these things. Do you have a faithful spirit? Can you listen and pray for that dear one without broadcasting to the eager ears of others?
Proverbs 11:13 A talebearer reveals secrets, but he who is of a faithful spirit conceals a matter.

This one stung me man! I’ve slipped up so many times, yaaaaani! He is a merciful God. My dear friend Emily and I always joke about how we, believers cover up gossip by saying, “Sio mushene, niku share” (I’m not gossiping, I’m sharing) yet we know that that is  often the greatest indicator of gossip! I’m grateful for a circle of friends who will turn these ‘sharing moments’ into prayer moments, there and then. On phone, on text and in person. We stop and pray, admitting our weaknesses and recognizing God's infinite power. These remain precious and humbling moments for me.

We need people to pray with us and for us. We need confidants and we need that shoulder to lean on because we get overwhelmed at times. This is vital. However, we also need our own time with God. Praying and listening throughout the day. 

Am I ready to take instructions? Am I willing to only speak what He says? Am I ready to take His lead and not rush ahead of Him? Am I ready to trust Him?
Psalms 119:129-130 Your testimonies are wonderful; Therefore my soul keeps them.
The entrance of Your words gives light; It gives understanding to the simple.

I pray that we will initiate nothing without His permission. We will seek His will, totally submit and surrender to Him. O for grace to trust Him more! Amen.


Have you spoken to Him lately? What is He saying?

Comments

  1. I needed this today. I need to go speak to him now about the person that won't let me sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that, May you find peace and calm in God.

      Delete
  2. Yes, so easy to pick a call and talk to a friend and forget there is one who sticks closer. and forget what a friend i have in Jesus! Lord help me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes dear. Amen. To remember to always turn to Him first. Barikiwa sana

      Delete
  3. Re-reading this today has been a great encouragement. Thank you.

    You're a great writer Brenda. It gets better because the words are coming from the Source. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm truly humbled by your kind words. True, this is God's agenda and all glory goes to Him.
      May we step out in faith and go where He leads us. Thank you. God bless you :)

      Delete
    2. i like it. very spiritual.
      bruce.

      Delete
    3. Thank you Bruce. God bless you

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts