Open Heart: Don't fuss

First off, I decided not to have my titles in caps anymore. It kinda looks too serious...and I'm not. Seriously, I'm not... sometimes. Anyway, that's besides the point... literally.

Then...(insert disbelief! Cue in the 'disbelief music' here, if any) I lost the original post! Imagine that! Okay, you don't have to. I typed another one...eons later.

Growing up as Brenda meant having to contend with endless statements such as "You are so mature for your age" and  "You are such a Ms. Goody-two-shoes". I didn't mind these, they sounded good. But with time, the phrases took a more interesting turn (I can afford to say that now!), "You are so weird", "You are so uptight", "You don't know how to have fun" to "You are so awkward"....yadi yadi yada!...then now, I started getting bothered by them. All these sounded the same to me- my friends thought I was not 'okay' or I was trying to be someone I wasn't. I was just being me. I never thought being bad was a cool thing...yeah, I was one of those kids! (Judge not!) Hehehe

All the while, I was wondering what went wrong? or where I had gone wrong? Needless to say, I struggled with these thoughts... I fussed about it, a lot. I was never settled with being Brenda; I always worried about what others thought about me. (Now I'm sure things have started sounding like an excerpt from a self-help book, so I will stop that there!) Disclaimer: I've never had confidence issues, so that doesn't count! But still, I made a big fuss about it.

From where I stood, all these things always looked negative, from whatever angle.  I always found reasons to justify what I did or had to do. Until it got tiring, I got tired. Then a friend pointed out

1 Peter 2:9 (King James Version)
But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.

 This is what he said concerning the verse:
 "if you look up the synonyms for peculiar you'll probably find weird or one of its synonyms..." (I felt comforted that weird and peculiar were in the same boat!)
 
So finally there was reason to dare to be different... no need for justification. He already did that for me. And all He wanted of me was to be different and do that which would please Him. God didn't think I was badly off by being weird (hooray!),  to the contrary, I was in His good books; and I wasn't going to oppose that! 

If you have ever fussed about things you really can't control, and you know there is nothing wrong with them... don't fuss no more.

 "Much as it feels un-nice to be left out of things, it's also a mark of respect that people have for you and fear over the influence that you exercise over them and so they may also be afraid that you just may talk some sense into them or get them to change their course of action." That's what my friend added. It made a whole lot of sense!

When we try to conform to what people expect of us, we end up losing the whole point in life. And the point is, and has always been, don't fuss, life is bigger than all that. Focus on the bigger picture. You are better of seeing the whole than in part. Seriously, don't fret.

You probably want to check your standards...whose are you going by?

I choose God's.



Then...just for the fun of it...
                                                                        Image source: HD wallpapers
 

Comments

  1. the friend you are talking about is Teacher haha!! i feel you on this post... :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts