REGRET...dissecting the word

Hi lovely people! I know its been a while but now I'm here.
I was thinking about things I regret having done in my life, then it hit me, I also have regrets of things I didn't do!
According to the Merriam-Webster online dictionary, Regret (verb) is describe as
1a: to mourn the loss or death of   
b: to miss very much
2: to be very sorry for
 Well, I think that is one sided (as well as a tad bit shallow) but we will work with it.
Also described as "to remember with distress or longing,"  (c.1300, from O.Fr.) according to the Online Etymology Dictionary.
 
To mourn the loss or death. The loss of a chance to make things right with a family member maybe? The death of a great friendship thanks to a stupid statement? The loss of your dignity perhaps?
To be sorry for not doing what you had been entrusted to do?
To remember certain events in your life that you would rather not remember? That probably cause you distress?
I don't know, but I'm sure you can fit a personal statement there.
 
Regret is one of those words that mean or evoke the same feeling no matter what direction you think along...positive or negative. I think. 
 For instance, when you do something that you ideally didn't want to do...you regret having done it. Well, if you don't do something you wanted to do, you end up regretting why you didn't do it. So, you end up with the same feeling either way. Bad feeling. Very bad feeling. Regret.
 
From my experience, regret is often coupled with anger and bitterness. The three are inseparable. No matter the magnitude of the matter. Regret leads to...well, more regret. Its a cycle. And only a conscious decision to let go will break that cycle.
 
So today...let go of whatever it is. It happened, it didn't happen = the same feeling. Find comfort in the fact that it is in the past...that moment is gone. And above all, you have another chance to make it right today. Do what you need to do. Don't do what you don't need to do. Take the lessons and move.
 
I think the best thing about the past for me, is that I know God makes all things, everything new. He created, He still creates, and will create. Be it new chances, opportunities, friendships...name it, He can and will. And when He does, it's always timely and better than before. No doubt about that.
 
One of my favourite bible verses always reminds me, that when the time is right, God will make things right. The regret and hurt will go, and joy will have set in.
 
When God works...everything else works. That is the wonderful mystery of our God! Give Him a chance to work on you...that is the one sure thing you won't regret.
 
Ecclestiastes 3:11 'Yet God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God's work from beginning to end.' (NLT)
 
Have a regret- free day!
 (Image source: my archives)
All my love!
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts